Because it takes a whole community to make sure that students grow up to be competent, caring adults, Bexley City Schools fosters partnerships among parents, educators, policy makers and community members.
Mental Health Resource
A team of Nationwide Children’s Hospital mental health professionals is available to help Bexley students, supported by a grant from ADAMH (Alcohol, Drug and Mental Health Board of Franklin County). Two clinicians are based at the Cassingham Complex during regular school hours, handling workshops, drug and alcohol prevention education and other counseling duties.For more information about this support or to seek a referral, see a school counselor, health clinic nurse or office staff member at the student's school.
The following links provide information related to the district's new Gender Identity/Expression policy:
- Kaleidoscope Youth Center is dedicated to supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth and their allies.
- TransOhio provides services, education, support, and advocacy which promotes and improves the health, safety, and life experiences of the Ohio transgender individual and community.
- GLSEN The mission of this organization is to "create safe and affirming schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.”
- Gender Spectrum “helps to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens.”
- NY Times round table - Talking to Your Kids about Race and Violence
- Blog Post "White Parents of My Black Child's Friends: I Need Your Help"
- Teaching Tolerance - Teaching about race, racism and police violence
- Education Post - Orlando is a tragic reminder that our schools must be safe spaces for LGBTQ students
- Teaching Tolerance - Please talk to your students about Orlando
Leisan C. Smith joined Bexley Schools in fall 2015 as the Director of Student and Community Engagement. Her goals focus on helping students overcome non-academic barriers to success. With a Masters of Education and a B.A. in Communication from the University of Cincinnati, Ms. Smith has served in management positions in the Cincinnati area at a charter high school, a pre-college program and the university level. Most recently she was the Director of the University of Cincinnati's LGBTQ Center in the Division of Student Affairs.For more information:Director of Student and Community EngagementBexley City School District348 South Cassingham Road
Bexley, Ohio 43209(614) 231-7611